Nothing like a list in a blog post to start a discussion… in this case Stacey Higginbotham at GigaOM gives us 10 Reasons Enterprises Aren’t Ready to Trust the Cloud – she writes in her introduction:
"I have no doubt that this is The Next Big Thing in computing, but sometimes I get a little tired of the noise... So let’s turn down the noise level and add a dose of reality. Here are 10 reasons enterprises aren’t ready to trust the cloud."
- It’s not secure.
- It can’t be logged.
- It’s not platform agnostic.
- Reliability is still an issue.
- Portability isn’t seamless.
- It’s not environmentally sustainable.
- Cloud computing still has to exist on physical servers.
- The need for speed still reigns at some firms.
- Large companies already have an internal cloud.
- Bureaucracy will cause the transition to take longer than building replacement housing in New Orleans.
Its well worth reading through the comments for the different perspectives. I think my gut reaction to the list is similar to many others (and very similar to what I discuss in my recent IDM article) that yes, there are issues, but this is a new space and personally I think some will be solved indirectly. The bigger issues in fact are the non-technology challenges that are emerging from how we use the cloud.
Hat tip to Martin.