A nice short article that actually shares some good advice on listening to social media. The author puts forward the following six guidelines to help you avoid making assumptions about the trends you see the data:
- Learn about the competitive landscape;
- Look for unexpected themes;
- Dip deeper into the stream;
- Look for user experiences;
- Learn why negative words are coming up; and
- Learn about conversation dominators.
These guidelines are mostly applicable across all kinds of social media and not just Twitter.
Of course when it comes to listening to social media, it helps if you target something specific like the iPad launch, which attracted over 500,000 tweets. 🙂